CONNECTED THINKING

Knowledge atlas

Follow people, viewpoints and their original evidence.

1 people · 1 sources · 1 viewpoints

IN CONTEXT

API design preference

Choose a viewpoint. Follow it back to the conversation.

Preference for URL-based content negotiation over Accept headers

IN CONTEXTAPI design preference1 viewpoints
2026-09-23

Equal sectors are reading positions, not rankings.

Showing 1–1 of 1 viewpoints · Newest sources first

1 / 1

Selected viewpoint

Preference for URL-based content negotiation over Accept headers

Simon Willison independently chose not to use Accept-header–based content negotiation, preferring predictable URLs—for example, using a '.json' suffix to serve JSON.

These are individual perspectives, not a measure of consensus. Source material stays in its original language.

Supporting evidence

Comment: We just shipped support for the ugliest part of HTTP: Vary

Original excerpt

(Independent of the Cloudflare feature I ended up deciding never to use that pattern, because I prefer having URL that predictably returns HTML or JSON - I add a .json suffix to my apps to serve JSON instead.)

Publication dates describe the sources, not changes in belief.